Calcutta. Government House & Ochterlony Monument
Photographer: Mallitte, Oscar Jean Baptiste
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken in 1865 by Oscar Mallitte to form part of an album entitled 'Photographs of India and Overland Route'. Marquess Wellesley, on becoming Governor-General of Calcutta in 1798, commissioned Captain Charles Wyatt of the Engineers to design a new Government House. Based on designs for Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire, the lower storey has an arcade with Ionic columns. On the north side is a portico with a large staircase, under which carriages drove to the entrance, and on the south side there is a circular colonnade with a dome. The four wings were constructed specifically to allow the free movement of air around the building. This view does not show the Ochterlony Monument but rather J.H. Foley's equestrian statue of Viscount Hardinge of Lahore, Governor-General of India from 1844-1848, in the foreground.