Calcutta. Gateway of Govt House
Photographer: Mallitte, Oscar Jean Baptiste
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken in 1865 by Oscar Mallitte to form part of an album entitled 'Photographs of India and Overland Route'. Government House was a palatial residence for the Governors-General of Calcutta, commissioned by Marquess Wellesley in 1798. The architect, Captain Charles Wyatt, based the building on designs for Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire, with specific changes to combat the heat of Calcutta by allowing greater movemet of air through the building. There were also four ceremonial gateways, two of which crossed Esplanade Row; their design was based on Adam's archways at Syon House in Middlesex.