Calcutta. Old Court House Street [looking north]
Photographer: Mallitte, Oscar Jean Baptiste
Medium: Photographic print
Old Court House Street ran from Esplanade Row to Lal Bazaar on the eastern side of Dalhousie Square in Calcutta. This view, taken by Oscar Mallitte in 1865, shows one of the four ceremonial gateways to Government House on the left, which were based on designs for Adam's archways at Syon House in Middlesex, and St Andrews Church at the end of the street in Lal Bazaar. On the right of the view are commercial buildings. St. Andrew's Church is visible on the north corner of Old Court House Street and Lal Bazar Street in the distance.