Calcutta. Band Stand, Eden Gardens
Photographer: Mallitte, Oscar Jean Baptiste
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken by Oscar Mallitte in 1865 to form part of an album entitled 'Photographs of India and Overland Route'. Eden Gardens, situated on the north-west corner of the Maidan in Calcutta, was named after Emily and Fanny Eden, the sisters of Lord Auckland (Governor-General of India from 1836-1842), who tended the garden when it formed part of the Governor's Estate.