Chittur - The Jain Tower
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Kirthi Stambh or Tower of Fame in Chitor from James Burgess' 'Photographs of Architecture and Scenery in Gujarat and Rajputana' taken by Colin Murray in c.1872. The Kirti Stambh or Tower of Fame is a monument dedicated to the Jain saint Adinatha which dates from the 13th century. The lowest storey is decorated with four niches containing large standing images of the Tirthankara and the same image is repeated many times on a smaller scale on the upper storeys. An internal staircase leads to a small pillared pavilion at the top which dates from the 15th century.