Close view of corner of tower of Eklakhi Tomb, Pandua, showing carved brickwork
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Eklakhi Tomb at Pandua in West Bengal, taken by Joseph David Beglar in the 1870s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Pandua was capital of the Sultans of Bengal from 1338 to 1500 when it was abandoned in favour of Gaur. The Eklakhi tomb was built in the early 15th century and is possibly the burial place of Sultan Jalal-al-Din (r.1414-1432). It is a massive structure covered in a dome with octagonal towers at the corners and one of the first square brick tombs in Bengal. The exterior of the tomb is ornamented with mouldings in a variety of floral designs carved in brick or terracotta, whereas the interior is relatively plain. This is a view of a corner of the tomb showing one of the towers.