Carved bricks and sculpture fragments dug up from the ruins at the Indpai or Indappe Tope, Jamui, Monghyr (Munger) District
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of carved bricks and sculpture fragments dug up from the ruins at the Indpai or Indappe Tope (Indapaigarh), Monghyr (Munger) District, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1872-73. Situated near the town of Jamui, the remains of the Buddhist centre of Indapairgah date to the seventh-century. The principal monument found here is a large stupa, 125 feet in diameter and 35 feet in height. Beglar was unable, "owing to active opposition from the Raja's people", to investigate the site in detail but Beglar states that he: "can confidently say that a careful and thorough examination of the mounds, and especially of the great tope here, will prove a great acquisition to our present meagre knowledge of ancient Indian structures." Many carved bricks and pieces of stone sculpture depicting seated Buddha and Bodhisattva figures, were found around the monastery and the stupa. Most of the sculptures found at the site are now in the Archaeological Museum at Jamui.