Close view of sculpture in southern window of the Brahmeshvara Temple, Bhubaneshwar
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the sculptures in the southern window of the Brahmeshvara Temple, Bhubaneshwar from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in 1892. The Brahmeshvara Temple complex (c.1060) stands within a walled enclosure with a principal temple and four smaller corner shrines. The sanctuary is roofed by a tall vertical tower while the mandapa has a solid pyramidal roof. The outer doorway is decorated with guardian figures with foliation and scrollwork and a row of Navagrahas, the nine planets of Indian astronomy. The outer walls are decorated with sculptures of guardian figures, amorous couples and figures of maidens are carved on the block within the mandapa windows. The temple is also noted for the sculptures of the differnt forms of Shiva and royal and saintly figures.