Close view of sculpture in northern window of the Brahmeshvara Temple, Bhubaneshwar
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the sculptures in the northern window of the Brahmeshvara Temple, Bhubaneshwar from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in 1892. The Brahmeshvara Temple complex (c.1060) stands within a walled enclosure with a principal temple and four smaller corner shrines. The sanctuary is roofed by a tall vertical tower while the mandapa has a solid pyramidal roof. The outer doorway is decorated with guardian figures with foliation and scrollwork and a row of Navagrahas, the nine planets of Indian astronomy. Many sculptures decorate the temple; this views show the figures of maidens on the blocks within the mandapa window.