Close view of façade of back of shrine of the Brahmeshvara Tremple, Bhubaneshwar
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Brahmeshvara Temple, Bhubaneshwar from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in 1892. The Brahmeshvara Temple complex (c.1060) stands within a walled enclosure with a principal temple and four smaller corner shrines. The sanctuary is roofed by a tall vertical tower while the mandapa has a solid pyramidal roof. The outer doorway is decorated with guardian figures with foliation and scrollwork and a row of Navagrahas, the nine planets of Indian astronomy. This view shows the sculpture on the façade with amorous couples set in niches and rearing beasts in the recesses between the wall projections.