Close view of southern window of the sanctuary of the Mukteshvara Temple, Bhubaneshwar
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the southern window of the sanctuary of the Mukteshvara Temple, Bhubaneshwar, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Alexander E. Caddy in 1895. The Mukteshvara temple dates from the late 10th Century and marks the transition from the early phase of Orissa temples (7th-9th century) to the later phase (10th-13th century). It is one of the most famous examples of Nagara style in Orissa, noteable for its exquisite sculptures. The complex consists of a sanctuary orientated towards the west and set in a walled compound surrounded by smaller shrines and a tank. The sanctuary has large pierced stone windows with geometric designs on the north and south sides. These windows are surrounded by friezes of lotus stalks and frolicking monkeys.