Close view of right half of west facade of the mandapa of the Parashurameshvara Temple, Bhubaneshwar
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the west façade of the mandapa of the Parashurameshvara Temple at Bhubaneshwar, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by William Henry Cornish in 1892. The Parashurameshvara temple is the smallest of the temples of Bhubaneshwar and dates from the middle of the 7th Century. The square towered sanctuary is preceded by a rectangular mandapa with a sloping roof. The outer walls projections of the sanctuary are decorated with sculptures of the Hindu gods, surrounded by bands of miniature figures and lotus ornament. The curvilinear tower is in the Orissan Nagara or Northern style and is covered with fine sculptural ornamentation such as the kudu or arch motif, nymphs, divinities and mythical beasts. The mandapa is entered through two doorways and is lit through four lattice-work windows; those on the west are decorated with dancers and musicians and a figure of Lakshmi adorns the lintel. The walls are decorated with rows of figures of various Hindu deities. The photo shows the pierced stone window decorated with dancers and musicians on the west of the mandapa.