Close view showing sculptural detail of the left half of the south façade of the Lakshmi Temple, a minor temple in the courtyard of the Jagannatha Temple, Puri
Photographer: Mukherji, Poorno Chander
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the sculptural details from the Lakshmi temple in the Jagannatha Temple complex at Puri, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Poorno Chander Mukherji in the 1890s. Puri in Orissa, is one of the four traditional pilgrimage centres for Hindus, and the centre of the cult of Jagannatha, a form of Krishna. The main shrine, with a towered sanctuary and mandapa with a pyramidal roof, is attributed to Anantavarman Chodaganga of the Eastern Ganga dynasty (r.1077-1147). Other mandapas were added in the 13th and 15th Centuries. The rectangular complex has many other minor shrines and is within a high double-walled enclosure with four gates at the cardinal points. The sculptures on the 12th Century shrine of Lakshmi, within the same compound, represent graceful maidens, miniature figures, coiled serpents and lotus ornament.