Close view of portion of frieze between two of the arched doorways in the upper verandah of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri 1003418
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the upper verandah of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Jain caves in the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, were excavated in the 1st century B.C during the Chedi dynasty of ancient Kalinga (now Orissa). The Rani Gumpha or the Queen's Cave is the largest of the series of caves. It has a double storey, with a spacious courtyard. There is a carved frieze between the arches over the doors of the cells of the upper and lower storeys. This is a view of a row of figures in a section of the frieze in the verandah of the upper storey.