Close view of doorway on left-hand side of lower storey of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri
Photographer: Cornish, William Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a doorway in the lower storey of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri in Orissa, taken by William Henry Cornish in c.1892, Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Jain caves in the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, were excavated in the 1st century B.C during the Chedi dynasty of ancient Kalinga. The Rani Gumpha or the Queen's Cave is the largest and most richly carved of these caves. It has a double storey, with a spacious courtyard.
This is a close view of a doorway on the left-hand side of the lower storey. The series of doorways are each flanked by pilasters with winged animals as capitals from which springs an arch; the arches are connected by a railing supported by bracket figures. The spaces between the arches above the railings are decorated with friezes in relief illustrating various royal scenes, while the tympanums are left plain.