Photograph of the Chitor Gate, Agra fort, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections taken during the 1870s. The Agra fort complex stands on the banks of the Yamuna and was built by the Emperor Akbar (r.1556-1605) between 1565 and 1573. Built principally as a military establishment on the site of an earlier walled complex, the fort is considered the predecessor of the Delhi Red Fort. The massive walls of the fort, built of red sandstone, are 20 feet high and 2.5km long with curved bastions at intervals. Emperor Shah Jahan (r.1628-58) was responsible for the Mughal buildings within the fort. The Chitor Gates were brought by Akbar to commemorate his victory over the Rajput fortress in 1568. The bronze gates lead to a temple built in the 18th century by the Jat rulers of Bharartpur.