Colonnade in the inner courtyard of the Jahangiri Mahal, Agra.
Photographer: Caney, W.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Jahangiri Mahal, Agra fort complex from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections taken by W. Caney in the 1880s as part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections (Indian Museum Series). The Agra fort complex stands on the banks of the Yamuna and was built by the Emperor Akbar between 1565 and 1573. Emperor Shah Jahan (r.1628-58) was responsible for most of the Mughal buildings within the fort but the Jahangiri Mahal was probably built during Akbar's (r.1556-1605) reign. Overlooking the river the building were numerous courts surrounded by halls and chambers built on two levels, with terraces and pavilions above and a network of vaulted chambers underground.