Close view of temple façade showing detail of mouldings and sculpture niches, Bhitargaon 1003678
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the facade of the ruined temple at Bhitargaon, about 20 miles south of Kanpur, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1878. This is a very important monument as it is probably the earliest surviving Gupta temple built in terracotta. It has been ascribed to the 5th century. The temple is built on a square plan with double-recessed corners. Entered from the east, it is covered by a tall pyramidal spire. The outer walls are decorated with terracotta panels framed by pilasters. Although damaged, the central panel has been identified as Vishnu as Varaha and the next one as Vishnu and Ayudhapurusas. In this panel,Vishnu is depicted as eight-armed in his Trivikrama form.