Close view of temple façade showing detail of mouldings and sculpture niches, Bhitargaon 1003679
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the southern facade of the ruined temple at Bhitargaon, about 20 miles south of Kanpur, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1878. This is a very important monument as it is probably the earliest Gupta temple in terracotta. It has been ascribed to the 5th century. The temple is built on a square plan with double-recessed corners and is entered to the east. The sanctuary is covered by a tall pyramidal spire. The outer walls are decorated with terracotta panels positioned between pilasters. Although damaged, some figures have been identified as Shiva and Parvati seated together (south) and an eight-armed Vishnu (west). A frieze of ornamental plaques above the panels is decorated with acquatic monsters, miniature fighting figures and foliate panels.