Close view of the top of one of the Jain votive pillars, Deogarh
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the top of one of the Jain votive pillars at Deogarh, taken by an unknown photographer in the 1890's. In a report of photographic tours in that area in 1874-75 and 1876-77, A. Cunningham wrote, "The old town of Deogarh is situated at the western end of the table-land of the Lalitpur range of hills, immediately overhanging the river Betwa...The fort is quite overgrown with jungle; but on one side the dreariness of the view is relieved by the ruins of an extensive group of Jain temples...No. 2 is an open arcade...The sanctum of the temple is completely gone. Near it there are two stone monoliths with pyramidal tops, and small niches containing squatted Jain figures."