Closer view of the Shiva temple of the Chandella period, Gehraho, Jhansi District
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Shiva temple of the Chandella period at Gehraho, Jhansi District, taken by an unknown photographer around the1880s as part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series (Duplicates).This print shows the view looking up the steep hillside towards the temple. The temple is described in the North-Western Provinces list of 1891, 'Gehraho...possesses on a hillock an old Chandella temple, of hewn stones and decorated by sculptures, in a fair state of preservation. The temple is built on the usual plan of an entrance hall, a central hall, and a sanctum with a door to the east...The central hall is open at the sides, with broad seats all around, backed by sloping parapets...The temple is dedicated to Siva...The sanctum still contains a famous lingam of black basalt, called Guraiya Mahadeva...The temple was built during the reign of the Chandella Prince Kirttivarman, as recorded in an inscriptions near the entrance door.'