Close view of the inscription on the Buddhagupta Pillar, Eran, Sagar District
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a close view of the inscription on the Buddhagupta Pillar at Eran in Sagar District, taken by Henry Cousens in c. 1892-94 as part of the Archaeological Survey of India Collections: Indian Museum Series (Duplicates). The royal inscription on this column is on the west face towards the bottom of the lower and square part of a large monolithic red-sandstone column situated near the ruined group of temples at Eran. The inscription refers to the reign of Budhagupta and it is dated A.D. 484-485. The object of it is to record the erection of the column, which is called 'dhvajastambha' or flag staff of the god Vishnu.