Close view of base of facade of the Udayeshvara Temple, Udayapur
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the the north-east of the Udayeshvara Temple, Udayapur taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871 or 1872. The Udayeshvara temple is the finest temple of the Paramara period, erected in 1080 by king Udayaditya. The temple faces east and stands on a platform approached by a stairway flanked by large Shiva door guardians. The temple consists of a towered sanctuary and a mandapa entered through three porches. The sanctuary and the mandapa have a stepped, almost circular plan and are decorated with remarkable sculpture panels set on the walls projections. This view shows the sculptural details on the outer walls of the sanctuary.