Close view of remaining portions of ceiling in the Ghantai Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a close view of the remaining portions of ceiling in the Ghantai Temple, Khajuraho, Madhya Pradesh from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. The Ghantai Temple dates from the late 10th century of the Chandella dynasty and takes its name from the chain-and-bell (ghanta) motifs carved on its tall pillars. The entrance porch and a mandapa are the only extant structures, each resting on four tall pillars that support an ornate ceiling. The mandapa has an elaborate doorway with an architrave carved with sixteen auspicious Jain symbols.