Close view of base of wall showing mouldings and sculptural details, Kandariya Mahadeo Temple, Khajuraho 10031397
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a close view of the base of the wall showing mouldings and sculptural details of Kandariya Mahadeo Temple at Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. The Kandariya Mahadeva Temple was built during the reign of king Vidyadhara (1017-1029) of the Chandella dynasty and represents the climax of Indian medieval architecture both from an architectural and a sculptural point of view. The temple is accessed through an ornate portal and is raised on a basement with friezes illustrating courtly themes. The sanctuary with circumambulatory corridor is preceded by a mandapa and five verandas with vestibule allow light onto the interior. The outer walls are decorated with three tiers of superb sculptures celebrated for their ritualised sexual postures. The spire that covers the sanctuary is made of convergent smaller towers and attains 40 m in height and culminates with the amalaka.