Close view of portion of the ceiling of the Parsvanatha Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the ceiling of the Parshvanatha Temple at Khajuraho, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. Khajuraho was the capital of the Chandella dynasty which ruled in central India from the ninth century. Of the numerous temples that were erected at this site only about twenty-five have survived. They represent the culmination of the central Indian style of architecture and the sensuous sculptures that decorate them are among the masterpieces of Indian art. The Parshvanatha Temple is a large Jain temple from the mid-10th Century of the Chandella period. The temple stands on a basement and is covered by a tall spire consisting of clusters of miniature towers. The outer walls of the sanctuary and of the mandapa are decorated with panels of fine sculptures of Vasihnava themes as well as amorous couples. Jina figures are carved on the lintel of the interior doorway. This view shows the sculptural details of the ceiling of the interior of the temple.