Close view of base of wall showing mouldings and sculptural details, Visvanatha Temple, Khajuraho
Photographer: Beglar, Joseph David
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a close view of the base of the wall showing mouldings and sculptural details of Visvanatha Temple at Khajuraho from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Joseph David Beglar in 1871-72. The Vishvanatha Temple was built by king Dhangadeva of the Chandella dynasty in 1002 as indicated by an inscribed slab found in the temple. The temple is raised on a terrace decorated with friezes and consists of a sanctuary (garbha griha) surrounded by a passageway, a dance or meeting hall (mandapa), a vestibule (ardha-mandapa) and smaller projecting porches. The mandapa and the vestibule have pyramidal roofs while the sanctuary is covered by a tower with projections and miniature tower-like elements. The outer walls are adorned by three rows of sculptures depicting amorous scenes.