Close view of portion of the exterior wall of the Man Mandir Palace, Gwalior
Photographer: Bourne and Shepherd
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Man Mandir Palace, Gwalior, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Bourne and Shepherd in c.1883. Since the eighth century Gwalior has had a succession of rulers including the Rajputs, Mughals and Marathas. It rose to great prominence during the period of Tomar Rajput rule between 1398 and 1518, particularly during the reign of Raja Man Singh (r.1486-1517). The Man Mandir is a remarkable Hindu palace built by Man Singh inside the fort at Gwalior. The fort stands on a long, narrow, sheer-sided hill almost 100 m (300 feet) high. A long ramp on the eastern side leads up through six gates to the summit of the hill to the main entrance. The palace dominates the east flank of the fort with its impressive façade forming part of the curtain wall, regularly spaced by circular towers with domed pavilions. This is close view of a portion of the exterior wall on the southern facade; the walls are covered in blue, yellow and green tiles applied in friezes of geometric patterns, animals and trees.