Close view of the central arch of the screen of the Arhai-din-ka-Jhonpra Mosque, Ajmer.
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Arhai-din-ka-Jhonpra Mosque, by O.S.Baudesson in the 1880s, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Arhai-din-ka-Jhonpra Mosque (or Hut of Two and a Half Days) lies near the Dargah of Khwaja Muin-ud-Din Chishti in south-west Ajmer. This early example of Indo-Islamic architecture was begun in c.1200 by Qutb-ud-Din Aybak (r.1206-1210), Sultan of Delhi, and completed by his successor, Shams-ud-Din Iltutmish (r.1211-1236). The mosque was built in yellow sandstone and masonry taken from local Hindu and Jain temples. The ceiling of the arcades and prayer hall are supported by triple-height colonnades composed of three Hindu or Jain pillars placed one on top of each other to create a single pillar. The mosque has a monumental façade, or screen, of seven arches, that was added by Iltutmish in about 1230. This is a view of the arched screen decorated with carved geometric and floral motifs and Koranic inscriptions. Inside the mosque can be seen some of the columns constructed from three separate pillars.