Close view of small domed porch entrance, Shringara Chauri Temple, Chittaurgarh [Chitorgarh]
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
This photograph was taken by O. S. Beaudesson in 1882. It probably shows porch to the Jain Shringara Chauri Temple complex in Chitorgarh, dedicated to Shantinatha, and dating to 1456. The doorway to the shrine itself is flanked by figures of river goddesses and yakshi and the basement mouldings are decorated with intricately carved friezes with figures of warriors, maidens and musicians. The walls have pierced screens with geometric motifs and carved panels framed by pilasters. The fort of Chitor was under the rule of the Pratiharas and other dynasties from the seventh century. Many Hindu and Jain temples from this and later periods are preserved inside the fort. The oldest palace structures in the fort date to the rule of Rana Kumbha of Chitor (r. 1433-68). Chitorgarh in the modern-day state of Rajasthan was an important Rajput fortress throughout the medieval period. It served as a political capital, despite being sacked by both Ala-u'd-din Khalji in 1303 and Bahadur Shah of Gujarat in 1535, until it was finally taken by the Mughal emperor Akbar in 1567. It was later returned to Rajput control but never regained such prominence again.