Close view showing details of lintel and mouldings of the Ahar-ki-Darwaza, Chittaurgarh [Chitorgarh]
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the details of the lintel and of the mouldings of the Ahar-ki-Darwaza at Chitorgarh, taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882. In the Preservation of National Monuments in India (vol II, 1884, part 8, Meywar), H.H.Cole wrote, 'Near the Tower of Victory stands a fine stone temple, the Mokul-ji-ka-Mandir - dating from the 15th century A.D....North and east of this temple are two gate buildings, that to the east, here represented, opens into the street of the Sindhi Bazar, and the mud houses which encroach on it right and left might with great advantage be removed. The architecture of the gate is purely Hindu; the delicate carvings are applied with taste, but vegetation is destroying the fabric, which, unless speedily strengthened, will fall to the ground.'