Close view of pierced stone window in the mandapa of the small Sasbahu Temple, Nagda
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the entrance porch and mandapa of the Sasbahu temple, Nagda taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882. The two Sasbahu Temples at Nagda, near Udaipur in Rajasthan, date from the late 10th Century. They are dedicated to Vishnu and are raised on a high terrace facing a tank to the east. The Sas (mother in law) temple is larger than the Bahu (daughter in law) temple but both are built on a similar plan. The larger temple, part of which can be seen in this photograph, has a sanctuary with a curvilinear tower, a mandapa or porch with projections and a pillared pavilion covered by a pyramidal roof. The walls have sculptures of Brahma, Shiva and Vishnu, surmounted by Rama, Balarama and Parashurama on the principal projections. The mandapa and porches have outward-sloping balustrades decorated with relief images of various divinities, amorous couples and friezes, above which stand the richly carved columns supporting the overhanging roof. The columns are richly carved as is the ceiling. This view shows the intricately carved stone window of the mandapa of the smaller temple, surrounded by mouldings and sculpture.