Close view of an arch of the Manak Mahal in the north range of Mor Chowk, City Palace, Udaipur
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of an arch of the Manak Mahal in the north range of Mor Chowk, in the City Palace at Udaipur in Rajasthan, taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Udaipur was established as the new capital of Mewar state by Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs, after the sack of Chittorgarh by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1567. The colossal City Palace is located on the east bank of Lake Pichola. It was begun by Udai Singh but dates mainly from the 17th and 18th centuries. It consists of a series of buildings faced in white plaster with steep, fortified windowless walls rising to meet tiers of balconies, towers and domed kiosks at the upper levels. The Mor Chowk, or Peacock Court, is a private court in the City Palace, named after the coloured glass peacocks in high relief set into the walls. Manek Mahal, on the north side, has mirrored interior apartments. This view shows the glass and mirror-work mosaics surrounding the archway.