Carved wood and ivory door in the Chandra Mahal, City Palace, Udaipur
Photographer: Baudesson, O.S.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a wooden door in the Chandra Mahal, City Palace at Udaipur in Rajasthan, taken by O.S. Baudesson in 1882, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. Udaipur was established as the new capital of Mewar state by Maharana Udai Singh (r.1567-72) of the Sisodia Rajputs, after the sack of Chittorgarh by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1567. The colossal City Palace is located on the east bank of Lake Pichola. It was begun by Udai Singh but dates mainly from the 17th and 18th centuries. It consists of a series of buildings faced in white plaster with steep, fortified windowless walls rising to meet tiers of balconies, towers and domed kiosks at the upper levels. The Chandra Mahal, or Moon Pavilion, was added to the palace in the early 17th century and is located on the top level of the City Palace. The wooden door in this photograph is inlaid with ivory.