Close view of base of south minaret of the Malik Sarang Mosque or Queen's Mosque, Sarangpur, Ahmadabad 10031689
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Malik Sarang Mosque, or Queen's Mosque, in Sarangpur, Ahmadabad, taken in the 1880s by Henry Cousens, from the Archaeological Survey of India. Situated by the Sarangpur Gate, this mosque was built in c.1530 by Malik Quivam ul Mulk Sarang, a nobleman at the court of Sultan Muzaffar Shah (r.1511-26), who became governor of the city in 1521. The mosque has five large domes above a series of arched entrances along the facade. The larger central arch is flanked by two robust minarets, now truncated at roof level. The bases of the minarets are covered in elaborately carved niches and a series of horizontal bands. The north minaret was taken down shortly before the date of this photograph as it was believed to be an unstable structure. This is a close-up view of the base of the
south minaret showing the intricate carving which contains motifs from both Hindu and Jain traditions.