Close view of column in porch showing sculptural detail, Rangaswami Temple, Bankapur
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a column in the porch of the Rangaswami Temple at Bankapur, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s. This Chalukya temple (ca 12th century), also called Aravattukambada or Temple of the Sixty Columns, is situated to the west of the old fort at Bankapur, modern day Karnataka. It consists of a sanctuary which has lost its superstructure with a huge open hall. In the 'Chalukyan Architecture of the Canarese District' of 1926, Cousens recorded, "The great pillared hall was converted into a mosque when the fort was held by a Bijapur garrison." The pillars of the hall are of dark-grey stone turned in the lathe. The shafts are divided into horizontal rings of mouldings with sharp edges. Many of the pillars have a square base and octagonal and sixteen-sided shafts and round capitals. The pillar in this view, however, has horizontal bands of mouldings with various geometric patterns around the shaft and a square block with carvings of animals and volutes. The flat round capital supports elaborate brackets.