Close view of façade of south side of Trikuteshvara Temple, Gadag, showing moulding and sculptural details
Photographer: Cousens, Henry
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the carved façade of the Trikuteshvara Temple at Gadag, taken by Henry Cousens in the 1880s. Gadag is a city located in Karnataka with a number of mediaeval temples. The Trikuteshvara compound was built between AD 1000 and 1050. The complex consists of the Sarasvati and the Trikuteshvara temples, the latter of which is pictured here. The principal shrine facing east is entered via a larger open hall and then a small closed hall. A second smaller shrine faces the first. Between the two halls were once entrances into the temple but the one on the north has been blocked by the addition of a small shrine. A brick and mortar spire is a later addition. This view shows the outer walls of the parapet-wall of the large open hall which is richly carved with pilasters, miniature temple towers, figure sculpture and elephants and horses on the basement. An elaborate stone screen with scrolls with little figures within them closes the space between the parapet and the roof.