Close view of pillars in the (?)Pudu Mandapa, Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple, Madurai
Photographer: Nicholas and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a close view of a pillar from the Pudu Mandapa at the Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple in Madurai from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Nicholas and company in c.1882. The Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple is dedicated to Shiva and his consort Minakshi, an ancient local divinity. The construction of this imposing temple-town was made possible by the magnificence of Tirumala Nayak (1623-1659). The rectangular precinct covers 6 hectares and has 11 huge towers and 4 entrance gopurams. Inside this enclosure there are columned mandapas, tanks, shrines and the two temples of Shiva and Minakshi. The Pudu Mandapa is situated in front of the east gopura and consists of a long hall with piers carved with yalis and portrait sculptures of the Nayaka rulers.