Close view of pillar with sculptured animal from the Pudu Mandapa, Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple, Madurai
Photographer: Nicholas and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a close view of a pillar with sculptured animal from the Pudu Mandapa at the Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple in Madurai from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections, taken by Nicholas and company in c.1882. The great complex of the Minakshi Sundareshvara Temple (17th Century), is dedicated to a local fertility goddess, Minakshi, and her consort Sundareshvara. The construction of this imposing temple-town was made possible by the magnificence of Tirumala Nayak (1623-1659). The rectangular precinct covers 6 hectares and has 11 huge towers and 4 entrance gopurams. The Pudu Mandapa is situated in front of the east gopura and consists of a long hall with piers carved with yalis, as the one seen in this photograph.