Close view of pillars at end of one of the colonnades in the Ramalingeshvara Temple, Rameswaram
Photographer: Nicholas and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Ramalingeshvara temple in Tamil Nadu, taken by Nicholas and Company in c.1884, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. This temple is situated on the sacred Hindu island of Rameswaram, connected to the mainland by a causeway. The site is believed to be related to the story of Rama of the Ramayana epic. It was founded during the Chola period but belongs mostly to the Nayaka period of the 17th and 18th centuries. The complex is contained within high walls entered through tall towered gopuras on three sides. These gateways lead to an exceptionally long colonnade that surrounds the intermediate enclosure. A fourth gopura, on the east side, is set into the wall of the intermediate enclosure. The innermost area of the temple complex contains the shrines of Parvati and Ramalinga. This view shows some piers raised on a moulded basement; the shaft are carved with scrollwork and lotus designs and the large pendant lotus brackets rest on crouching yalis.