Close view of portion of frieze between two of the arched doorways in the upper verandah of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri 1003419a
Photographer: Caddy, Alexander E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the carved frieze in the upper verandah of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri in Orissa, taken by Alexander E Caddy in 1895, Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Jain caves in the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, were excavated in the 1st century B.C during the Chedi dynasty of ancient Kalinga. The Rani Gumpha or the Queen's Cave is the largest and most richly carved of these caves. It has a double storey, with a spacious courtyard. This view shows one of the two doors in front of each of the four cells of the upper storey. The doorways are flanked by pilasters with winged animals as capitals from which springs an arch; the arches are connected by a railing supported by bracket figures. The spaces between the arches above the railings are decorated with friezes in relief illustrating various royal scenes, while the tympanums are left plain.