Close view of portion of sculpture frieze on lower storey of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri
Photographer: Caddy, Alexander E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a section of the freize in the lower storey of the Rani Gumpha, Udayagiri, taken by Alexander E.Caddy in 1895, Archaeological Survey of India Collections. The Jain caves in the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, were excavated in the 1st century B.C during the Chedi dynasty of ancient Kalinga (now Orissa). The Rani Gumpha or the Queen's Cave is the largest and most elaborately decorated cave. It has a double storey, with a spacious courtyard. A frieze of relief carvings extends the length of the wall over the doorways on both the upper and lower storeys. This view shows part of the decorative frieze that depicts various scenes and royal personages.