Close view from the south of the entrance to the Bagh Gumpha or Tiger Cave, Udayagiri
Photographer: Caddy, Alexander E.
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph from the west of the Bagh Gumpha or Tiger Cave, Udayagiri, taken by Alexander E.Caddy in c.1892, from the Archaeological Survey of India Collections. In the twin hills of Khandgiri, or Khandagiri, and Udayagiri, near Bhubaneshwar in Orissa, there is a series of Jain cave temples called 'gumpha' locally. Most of them were excavated in the period of the Chedi kings around 1st century BC. The Bagh Gumpha is a small cave so called on account of the similarity of its shape with the head of a tiger with open jaws. The door-jambs are flanked by pilasters with ghata or vase-shaped bases resting on stepped pedestals; the capitals are bell-shaped and surmounted by two elephants set back to back.