Chinese Temple [Rangoon]
Photographer: Klier, Philip Adolphe (c.1845-1911)
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of a Chinese temple at Rangoon (Yangon), taken by Philip Adolphe Klier in the 1890s. This is a general view from the street of the entrance to the temple. In his 'History of Rangoon' (1939) B.R. Pearn records land grants having been made by the 1850s for a Chinese temple on Dalhousie Street and a “Foken Chinese Temple” on Strand Road. Although Chinese communities had existed for many centuries in Burma, the urban Chinese population of cities such as Rangoon originated during the colonial era when Chinese from the coastal provinces of China came by sea to work as merchants, among other professions. In 1891 the Imperial Gazetteer of India estimated the Chinese colony in Rangoon as approximately 8000 people, and this had increased to more than 11,000 by 1901.