Photograph of the Ibrahim Roza in Bijapur, Karnataka from the 'Photographs to Illustrate the Ancient Architecture of Southern India' collection, taken by Edmund David Lyon in c. 1868. Built by Ibrahim Adil Shah II (1580-1626) for his queen, the Ibrahim Roza is one of the few buildings in Bijapur that is covered in sculpturally decorative work. Ibrahim Adil Shah II, his wife and several other family members are all interred here. This photograph is a view of the colonnade, taken from an angle and giving a glimpse down two exterior walls of the building. Lyon wrote: 'Approaching the mausoleum the visitor will at once be struck by the tasteful Colonnade forming a verandah of l5 ft broad round the whole edifice. The pavement of this colonnade is slightly elevated, and the ceiling is exquisitely carved with sentences of the Koran, enclosed in compartments and interspersed with wreathes of flowers.'