Compound to the Hindoo [sic for Madrassa] College, Calcutta
Photographer: Fiebig, Frederick
Medium: Photographic print
A hand-coloured print of the Madrassa, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851. The Madrassa or Islamic College of Calcutta, was set up by Warren Hastings in 1780 to reflect Islamic culture and to teach Arabic, Persian and Islamic Law. The original building, situated on the south side of the Bow Bazaar, was completed in 1782, but the college moved to Wellesley Square in the 1820's. The St. Andrew's Kirk may also be seen to the right of the image.