Caves of Elephanta 254321
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph of a cave at Elephanta from the 'Vibart Collection of Views in South India' could be attributed to Johnson and Henderson about 1855. The linga shrine of the Shiva Temple of Elephanta, which was excavated during the 6th Century, has entrances on the four sides which are guarded by dvarapalas or guardian figures. These show typical traits and attributes of the Gupta style and have crowns and jewels similar of those of Shiva himself. The shrine is flanked by two excavated courts and has monolithic columns with squat tapering shafts and cushion-like capitals.