Caves of Elephanta, near Bombay
Medium: Photographic print
A photograph of a cave at Elephanta from the 'Vibart Collection of Views in South India' taken by Johnson and Henderson about 1855. The rock-cut temple dedicated to Shiva was excavated in the 6th Century and consists of a series of chambers cut from the rock. At the centre is a hypostyle hall of 20 pillars in which stands the linga shrine. The columns of the hall have squat tapering shafts and cushion-like capitals. Two excavated courts are on the east and west of it. There are three entrances. The east entrance leads towards the sanctuary and the north entrance towards the great Trimurti, the triple-headed bust of Shiva. Large relief sculptures of the god Shiva decorate the interior of the cave. This is a view looking out from the entrance to the eastern shrine.