Central Railway Station [Madras]
Photographer: Nicholas and Company
Medium: Photographic print
Photograph of the Central Railway Station at Madras (Chennai), Tamil Nadu, taken by Nicholas & Company in ca.1880. Madras, the capital of the Madras Presidency of British India, was the first significant settlement of the British East India Company, founded in 1639 on land granted by the Raja of Chandragiri between the Cooum and Adyar rivers on the south-eastern coast. Madras grew rapidly around the fortified trading post of St. George, but its importance declined with the pre-eminence of Calcutta by the late-18th century. It has a rich legacy of colonial architecture. The railway station was built between 1868-72 in central Madras on the edge of George Town. It is a two-storey arcaded Gothic building with a clocktower and was designed by George Hardinge. This is a view looking towards the station, with the stone bridge over the Cochrane Canal in the foreground.