Photograph of the Mukteshwara Temple at Chaudanpur (or Chaudadampur) in Karnataka, with a row of inscription slabs standing at left, taken by William Henry Pigou around 1857, from 'Architecture in Dharwar and Mysore'. The Later Chalukyas of Kalyana were a dynasty which ruled in the Deccan from the 10th to 12th centuries and left a rich legacy of architecture. Once the mature Chalukyan style of temple-building was established in major centres of their dominion, which scholars refer to as the 'mainstream' style of this period, 'non-mainstream' temple forms were being erected in other centres usually under the patronage of feudatory dynasties. The Mukteshwara, dedicated to Shiva, falls into the latter category. The outer walls of the shrine have niches in which images were placed, and sculptured panels. The temple has two porches enclosed by a low wall richly decorated with bands of scroll work and repetitions of little temple-towers or shikaras.